Apache Pow Wow 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apache Pow Wow

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Baseball Final
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:40 am by Alice Lin

» how do you prep ! ~ final!
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:46 pm by Kelly Ching

» Varsity Boys Volleyball FINAL
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm by HelenLee

» Track and Field Summary FINAL
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:42 am by anDYQIn

» Coach Long Profile FINAL
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 12:52 am by victoriatran

» Baseball Rough
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:18 am by HelenLee

» COACH LONG PROFILE
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:07 am by HelenLee

» Track and Field Summary ROUGH
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:47 am by HelenLee

» how do you prep ! ~ rough
Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:06 pm by edwardchao

Cultures ROUGH

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HelenLee

Cultures ROUGH Empty
PostSubject: Cultures ROUGH   Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 am

A sudden uproar against racism sparked up as a video of a British lady holding a kid on her lap in a tram began to shout, “No one in here is British. I’m British, and we are in Britain. Go back to your own country.” People from around the globe began to comment on how much they hate the British for being so racist, and from there on a battle between various cultures began.

Watching the video and reading the comments of the recording leads me to ask, “If that ever happened in America, who can be considered American?” Anyone who simply lives in America? Anyone who adapts to the American culture? Or will it be narrowed down to only those who immigrated here a couple hundred years ago? As a matter of fact, what is American? We as Americans often stand ignorant and fail to realize where our culture meaning our foods, our words, and our traditions came from. We are living in a cornucopia with a pinch of all kinds of culture and that pretty much is “American.” Although our backgrounds are distinct in many ways, we are all bound together as Americans who treasure the same values, share similar language, and piece together the cultures that stand alone.

The American foods that we eat today from fast food places, restaurants, and markets are the result of nations uniting to create new foods that would please anyone. As they say, “You are what you eat.” Hot dogs, one of the most popular American foods, did not just pop out of nowhere; instead it was through the help of Egyptians making the first bread, that hot dogs became a reality. And as Koreans brilliantly decided to stuff vermicelli and pork blood inside pig intestine to make soondae, America took this technique to make hot dog wieners. There would not have been an American hot dog if these three distinct cultures decided to keep their creations for themselves; we would just have three different foods eaten alone. Diversity was the key to it all; they found one thing interesting, combined it with something else, and there we have it, our famous hot dog. Without the collaboration, what would we eat during Labor Day or what would we eat at baseball games?

We all do this sometimes: laugh at someone for having a prominent accent. We laugh at them thinking that they are so un-American. Ironically; those words they just spoke might have originated from their native country that the American dictionary adopted as its own. Take ketchup for example. Despite the fact that there cannot be anything more American than ketchup, that word actually came from a Chinese dialect. The word “shampoo” came from Hindi, “macaroni” from Italian, and “tomato” from an American Indian language. We tend to think that because English is primarily used in America, that all of the words are from Latin and Greek, but the language we speak everyday was created from the partnership of all countries.

It is much past the 1900’s when segregation was all too common, yet even to this day we still do not realize that we, gathered together from all parts of the world, are so similar in many ways. It makes no sense to yell at anyone for not being British or American, and for them to demand that they go back to their own country; it is just not what diversity in the world is about. Even though the background traditions may be different, all over the globe, we stay up on New Year’s Eve to wish the year good-bye and say hello to a new year of fresh beginnings.

There is an unconditional bond in between all of us. Yes, we are all human, we all have hands and feet, and we all carry emotions, but there is something more than just the average human characteristics. We all should be proud to be “American,” but before we go around pinching our nose at a specific foods, or laugh at a person’s national clothes, think back to the origin of American culture.
Back to top Go down
Lauren Trajano

Cultures ROUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cultures ROUGH   Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 12:42 pm

A sudden uproar against racism sparked up as a video of a British lady holding a kid on her lap in a tram began to shout, “No one in here is British. I’m British, and we are in Britain. Go back to your own country.” People from around the globe began to comment on how much they hate the British for being so racist, and from there on a battle between various cultures began.

Watching the video and reading the comments of the recording leads me to ask, “If that ever happened in America, who can be considered American?” <fragment> Anyone who simply lives in America? Anyone who adapts to the American culture? Or will it be narrowed down to only those who immigrated here a couple hundred years ago? As a matter of fact, what is American? We as Americans often stand ignorant and fail to realize where our culture <,> meaning our foods, our words, and our traditions came from. We are living in a cornucopia with a pinch of all kinds of culture and that pretty much is “American.” <“American”.> Although our backgrounds are distinct in many ways, we are all bound together as Americans who treasure the same values, share similar language, and piece together the cultures that stand alone.

The American foods that we eat today from fast food places, restaurants, and markets are the result of nations uniting to create new foods that would please anyone. As they say, “You are what you eat.” Hot dogs, one of the most popular American foods, did not just pop out of nowhere; instead it was through the help of Egyptians making the first bread, that hot dogs became a reality. And as Koreans brilliantly decided to stuff vermicelli and pork blood inside pig intestine to make soondae, America took this technique to make hot dog wieners. There would not have been an American hot dog if these three distinct cultures decided to keep their creations for themselves; we would just have three different foods eaten alone. Diversity was the key to it all; they found one thing interesting, combined it with something else, and there we have it, our famous hot dog. Without the collaboration, what would we eat during Labor Day or what would we eat at baseball games? <what would we eat during Labor Day or at baseball games?”

We all do this sometimes: laugh at someone for having a prominent accent. We laugh at them thinking that they are so un-American. Ironically; those words they just spoke might have originated from their native country that the American dictionary adopted as its own. Take ketchup for example. Despite the fact that there cannot be anything more American than ketchup, that word actually came from a Chinese dialect. The word “shampoo” came from Hindi, “macaroni” from Italian, and “tomato” from an American Indian language. We tend to think that because English is primarily used in America, that all of the words are from Latin and Greek, but the language we speak everyday was created from the partnership of all countries.

It is much past the 1900’s <1900s> when segregation was all too common, yet even to this day we still do not realize that we, gathered together from all parts of the world, are so similar in many ways. It makes no sense to yell at anyone for not being British or American, and for them to demand that they go back to their own country; it is just not what diversity in the world is about. Even though the background traditions may be different, all over the globe, we stay up on New Year’s Eve to wish the year good-bye and say hello to a new year of fresh beginnings.

There is an unconditional bond in between all of us. Yes, we are all human, we all have hands and feet, and we all carry emotions, but there is something more than just the average human characteristics. We all should be proud to be “American,” but before we go around pinching our nose at a specific foods, or laugh at a person’s national clothes, think back to the origin of American culture.
Back to top Go down
HelenLee

Cultures ROUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cultures ROUGH   Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Watching the video and reading the comments of the recording leads me to ask, “If that ever happened in America, who can be considered American?” Anyone who simply lives in America? Anyone who adapts to the American culture? Or will it be narrowed down to only those who immigrated here a couple hundred years ago? As a matter of fact, what is American? We as Americans often stand ignorant and fail to realize where our culture , meaning our foods, our words, and our traditions came from. We are living in a cornucopia with a pinch of all kinds of culture and that pretty much is “American”. Although our backgrounds are distinct in many ways, we are all bound together as Americans who treasure the same values, share similar language, and piece together the cultures that stand alone.

The American foods that we eat today from fast food places, restaurants, and markets are the result of nations uniting to create new foods that would please anyone. As they say, “You are what you eat.” Hot dogs, one of the most popular American foods, did not just pop out of nowhere; instead it was through the help of Egyptians making the first bread, that hot dogs became a reality. And as Koreans brilliantly decided to stuff vermicelli and pork blood inside pig intestine to make soondae, America took this technique to make hot dog wieners. There would not have been an American hot dog if these three distinct cultures decided to keep their creations for themselves; we would just have three different foods eaten alone. Diversity was the key to it all; they found one thing interesting, combined it with something else, and there we have it, our famous hot dog. Without the collaboration, what would we eat during Labor Day or at baseball games?

It is much past the 1900s when segregation was all too common, yet even to this day we still do not realize that we, gathered together from all parts of the world, are so similar in many ways. It makes no sense to yell at anyone for not being British or American, and for them to demand that they go back to their own country; it is just not what diversity in the world is about. Even though the background traditions may be different, all over the globe, we stay up on New Year’s Eve to wish the year good-bye and say hello to a new year of fresh beginnings.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cultures ROUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cultures ROUGH   Cultures ROUGH I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cultures ROUGH
Page 1 of 1