Apache Pow Wow 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apache Pow Wow

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Baseball Final
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:40 am by Alice Lin

» how do you prep ! ~ final!
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:46 pm by Kelly Ching

» Varsity Boys Volleyball FINAL
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm by HelenLee

» Track and Field Summary FINAL
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:42 am by anDYQIn

» Coach Long Profile FINAL
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 12:52 am by victoriatran

» Baseball Rough
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:18 am by HelenLee

» COACH LONG PROFILE
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:07 am by HelenLee

» Track and Field Summary ROUGH
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:47 am by HelenLee

» how do you prep ! ~ rough
uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:06 pm by edwardchao

uc davis FINAL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeanne Kuang

uc davis FINAL  Empty
PostSubject: uc davis FINAL    uc davis FINAL  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 pm

On Sept. 17, the ongoing Occupy protests that began in New York City spread to the quiet California city of Davis. Over the next two months, the protest fused with the University of California (UC) Davis campus. Then, on Nov. 18, Occupy Davis finally garnered national attention when the UC Davis police pepper-sprayed a row of nonviolent students.

But the most haunting of images in the ensuing media firestorm was not that of the seated students bowing their heads. It was not the policeman in full riot gear holding the pepper spray can in a seemingly nonchalant manner.

It was the reaction video, the one filmed on the night of Nov. 19 as the UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi walked out of a meeting on the issue. Hundreds of student protesters were gathered outside her office. But what was extraordinary was that they didn’t riot, didn’t block her path. They didn’t shout, didn’t wave signs, didn’t even speak or move. They simply stood together and watched Chancellor Katehi walk to her car.

The result is chilling. Watch the video and you’ll sense the palpable uncomfortableness in the air, the feeling that Katehi is accountable for the hundreds of pairs of eyes fixated on her. That’s the power of silence in a world overrun with noise.

We always hear stories of violent protests and victims screaming to demand justice. But how many riots truly get their messages across? Students demanding more opportunities and relief from crushing loans are drowning out their voices in pithy rhetoric and furious chants. Protests in Oakland were completely overshadowed by the violent clashes with police. Occupy encampments in New York and Los Angeles were so crowded with anger and sign-waving and fist-shaking that people are still confused about what the occupiers want.

But UC Davis proves that no one needs to raise a voice just to make an impact. That eerie vigil the students held? That is showing solidarity—not gathering to share anger or shout together, but uniting for a cause, and doing it in a way that makes people pay attention. Before the pepper-spraying incident, as students protested the “traditional” way, Katehi simply ordered the university police to remove them. But in those silent stares Katehi was forced to acknowledge the students, acknowledge her responsibility. With all the rage and screaming, people naturally tune out. To stand still and forgo all action, to surprise naysayers who are resignedly convinced of another clash, to do nothing but simply force someone to accept their presence is what “occupy” truly means. That is how to send a message.

Silent protest—perhaps it’s an odd phrase to hear in the midst of all the occupying and chanting and arresting that’s been spreading like wildfire across the globe. But I commend the students of UC Davis, because of all the Occupy protests, the most unheard gathering was the one that speaks out the most.
Back to top Go down

uc davis FINAL
Page 1 of 1